On Apr 14, 2009, at 6:56 AM, Neal Becker wrote:

The issue I need to address is to cooperate with other packaging systems. I'm using Fedora, which is rpm/yum based. A new python module is announced, I'd like to easy_install it. The official fedora package may be delayed by weeks. So I easy_install. But when the fedora update comes, they may conflict. For example, scons from fedora will place things in /usr/lib/scons, not the same as easy_install. easy_install will modify easy-install.pth. Nothing will clean it. So, there is a real need for easy_uninstall.

GNU stow is great for this kind of thing. If the New Distutils only writes new files and directories on installation (i.e. it does not need to *change* an existing file, the way the current easy_install has to change the contents of easy_install.pth), then it will be compatible with GNU stow, which will give me the best uninstall I could want. (For one thing, because I can use the same tool -- GNU stow -- to install and uninstall any software package, regardless of what programming language it is written in).

Another option would be if you have a sufficiently automatic "bdist_rpm" feature with which you can easily produce .rpm files for your Python packages ("distributions").

Regards,

Zooko