At 01:28 PM 4/20/2009 -0400, Christian Hudon wrote:
Is there a way to ask setuptools to do an install that looks more like a standard distutils install?

Yes, use "setup.py install --single-version-externally-managed --record=/some/file". This will install the distutils way, and record all the installed files in /some/file (which you can then discard if you like).

I don't care if I lose some the advanced setuptools features. Basically, I need an install that's done via just copying new files. Problems like setuptoosl checking that the destination directory is in the PYTHONPATH I can work around (although if there's a switch to disable that check, I'd be happy to learn about it). The main problem is the file that's edited on each install to add a new line for each package install via setuptools. Is there a way with setuptools of getting just a directory tree (or a tarball, etc.) that either setuptools or myself can just copy somewhere to have an installed python module?

"setup.py bdist_dumb" is probably what you want for that. It will work pretty much identically with both distutils and setuptools.