On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Hanno Schlichting <ha...@hannosch.eu> wrote:
>> For Distribute, there would be a few options to work around this:
>>
>> 1) Make 0.6 and 0.7 different package, like Distribute and Distribute2
>> (Jinja like solution)
>> 2) Make 0.7 fat package, which includes 0.6(setuptools compat)
>> features as deprecated.
>> *) YOUR IDEAS COME HERE.
>
> I would just release the current 0.6 code as a port called distribute for now.
>
> We don't know yet when the 0.7 version is actually going to arrive.
> How exactly it looks like might very well change during the next
> months. So let's figure out how to deal with 0.7 once it is actually
> anywhere near.
>
> In general I would assume each package management system to either
> have support for multi-version support or have a standard way to deal
> with new feature releases. It's pretty common for any code to give up
> backwards compatibility to some degree over time. Distribute is no
> different here.

Well in any case, what is sure is that we need to maintain a working 0.6
distribution to allow projects like pip or virtualenv to switch to Distribute
if they want.

For 0.7, what is also required is to be able to install it together with
0.6 because the 0.7 version will provide new features/changes that
a project might want to use while working with 0.6, and other projects
requiring 0.6 would be broken in case 0.7 removes 0.6.

For the long term I find the fat package solution we've discussed
earlier on IRC nicer because it will probably allow us to fix
some bugs in the 0.6 part by using some bits of 0.7 underneath.

Now for shipping Distribute 0.6 in MacPorts, I don't know how
the dependency system works there, but the best way would
be to remove the setuptools distribution as a pre-request
of Distribute installation (and vice-versa),

The other way would be to use Distribute instead of Setuptools for
what the packaging system is calling "setuptools". That's pretty
much what is happening in Gentoo (arch) and UHU-Linux (dev),
right now, and that's what we might do in Debian and Ubuntu  (that's
just a thaught at this time in there). In any case, the chosen solution
will be far from perfect.

Cheers
Tarek

--