On Oct 5, 2009, at 5:40 AM, Jeff Rush wrote:

Very unfortunate, as in, it should NOT have happened. And *especially*
without any announcement on python.org or mention on the
python-committers list of something this major.

[...]

Considering that 2.6.3 is messed up in other ways, like displaying the
SVN rc1 tag and a broken logging module, and probably will be
re-released at 2.6.4 very shortly, perhaps we can get this -at least-
into the Python docs and maybe introduce backward compatible hooks into
distutils to support setuptools.

I apologize for my part in this, but moving forward I think that if it's possible to patch and release a setuptools that works with Python 2.6.3 /and/ earlier Python 2.6.x's, then that should happen asap. If that's not possible, then we might need to revert the distutils change in a quick Python 2.6.4.

-Barry