Ronald Oussoren kirjoitti:

On 11 Oct, 2009, at 16:27, Lennart Regebro wrote:

2009/10/11 Ronald Oussoren <ronaldousso...@mac.com>:
What about packages that are installed as a dependency of some other package
and then used in user scripts without an explict depency on them?

That is, I install "SuperWebFramework==1.0" which happens to depend on
peak-rules. I later start using peak-rules in my own simple scripts (without a setup.py or other explicit dependency information), and yet later decide to uninstall "SuperWebFramework". If I understand the proposal correctly
the uninstallation of "SuperWebFrameWork" would break my scripts.

Yes of course.

IMHO that is a bad experience for the user, because it is very unintuitive that I have to explicitly install something that's already installed to ensure that it doesn't go away in the future. This might work in a serious development environment, but can end up to be very annoying and confusing for casual users.

The dpkg package manager (Debian) does not uninstall orphaned packages straight away, but notifies the user and allows them to "clean up" any orphans. Perhaps a similar approach would work here?
Ronald