On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM, P.J. Eby <p...@telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 06:10 PM 2/5/2010 -0800, Sridhar Ratnakumar wrote:

>> > Scripts aren't always in sys.prefix,
>>
>> Scripts *usually* go to sys.prefix/bin (or sys.prefix/Scripts or
>> site.USER_BASE/Scripts). Are their packages that actually put them
>> elsewhere?
>
> It's not the package that determines installation locations, it's the user's
> command line options and configuration file settings that determine the
> locations for libraries, scripts, and data files.
>

>> > Also make sure you're not forgetting e.g. shared hosting scenarios
>> > without a virtualenv, unless you're planning to make virtualenvs an
>> > officially-supported thing.  In such cases, the paths involved won't
>> > necessarily fall into a single root.
>>
>> PyPM is an ActivePython tool which installs itself into, say,
>> /opt/ActivePython-2.6 - a single root directory. So we never had to worry
>> about other layouts. PyPM supports virtualenvs too, so "pypm -E /tmp/myenv
>> install lxml" would install into the specified virtualenv.
>>
>> > Also don't forget sys.exec_prefix.  (Isn't packaging fun?)
>>
>> In ActivePython, sys.exec_prefix == sys.prefix.
>
> Yes, well, as I said, isn't packaging (in the wider Python world, where few
> such simplifications can be had) fun?  ;-)

May I remind of my recent suggestion of a build manifest ? It was
precisely designed to solve this kind of issues, and a similar format
is used by Cabal for Haskell, which supports a wide variety of install
scenario as well. It supports relocation.

I am rather suspicious about attempts of designing such things from
scratch without looking at how other packaging tools do similar
things.

cheers,

David