On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 11:16 +0100, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

Hi all,

sorry for joining in so late. I am pretty busy with my thesis and
examinations, which is why I can't work on this right now.

I am still subscribed to python-distutils and read the mails regularly,
so there is no need to CC me.

> IOW some paths in the PREFIXES file (or the RECORD file as long as we
> are able to find-and-replace paths in there) *need* to be updated at
> installation time no matter what we decide to do here.

Exactly!

> So, it seems to me that we need to keep unexpanded paths [1] in the
> RECORD file and let the install command expand them using installation
> option .  But we have to avoid this expansion when doing binary
> releases.

I still think that a PREFIX file, that contains *all* prefixes which
are configurable during installation right now, should make it to PEP
376 and to Python 2.7/3.2 . These prefixes could be kept unexpanded in
the RECORD file and it would therefore only be necessary to change them
within the PREFIX file if one wants to relocate an installation. (Is
this really a common use case?)

The PEP lists $PREFIX and $EXEC_PREFIX, but the set of prefixes that are
configurable during installation comprises:

Prefix              Default value       Command line option
PREFIX              sys.prefix          --install-purelib
EXEC_PREFIX         sys.exec_prefix     --install-platlib
SCRIPTS_PREFIX      $PREFIX/bin         --install-scripts
DATA_PREFIX         $PREFIX/share       --install-data

I think that it'll help Linux distribution developers *and* Python
developers a lot if these prefixes where available during runtime or
could be obtained by parsing the PREFIX file. This would mean the end of
__file__ magic to find data files and Python packagers could adapt their
tools to copy, for example, a configuration files from
$DATA_PREFIX/foo.cfg to a location that complies with the FHS (i.e.
/etc/foo.cfg).

> It seems feasible to me in both cases. And Wolojda could work later on
> adding more paths definitions and how to configure them through
> distutils options.

Will do :-)

Yours sincerely
--