anatoly techtonik wrote:
So, there won't be any package management tool shipped with Python 2.7
and users will have to download and install `setuptools` manually as
before:

  "search" -> "download" -> "unzip" -> "cmd" -> "cd" -> "python
setup.py install"

Therefore I still propose shipping bootstrap package that instruct
user how to download and install an actual package  management tool
when users tries to use it. So far I know only one stable tool -
`easy_install` - a part of `setuptools` package.

The required behavior for very basic user friendliness:
1. user installs Python 2.7
2. user issues `python -m easy_install something`
3. user gets message
'easy_install' tool is not installed on this system. To make it
available, download and install `setuptools` package from
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools/

4. the screen is paused before exit (for windows systems)

Other design notes:
1. if package tries to import `easy_install` module used for
bootstrap, it gets the same ImportException as if there were no
`easy_install` at all
2. bootstrap module is overwritten by actual package when users installs it

So, do we need a PEP for that? How else can I know if consensus is
reached? Anybody is willing to elaborate on implementation?

P.S. Please be careful to reply to relevant lists

An even lighter option would be to add an item to pythons 'help' feature.

Currently help("PACKAGES") == help("import")

It may be enough at this time to add a "PACKAGES" help entry that gives an overview of packages and hints on installing them. Then "import" can be a related help topic for "PACKAGES".

Ron