On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/9/27 Jim Fulton <j...@zope.com>:
>>>
>>> How are opinions on setting up country-specific PyPI mirrors? The lag
>>> to the US is pretty severe in Poland, and I suspect my buildouts would
>>> benefit from having a server in Poland. Now, of course, it could be
>>> called x.pypi.python.org, but maybe we should have aliases such as
>>> pl.pypi.python.org as well?
>>>
>>> I have no strong opinion on the issue, what do others think?
>>
>> Wouldn't CloudFront make this moot?
>
> If we state that PyPI completely depends on Amazon I guess yes.
>
> But imho, it's saner for the long term to have a community-driven
> protocol for mirroring so we don't rely on third-party vendors.

I understand where you're coming from but, ..
I think it's saner to rely on proven technology
than to invent our own protocol. NIH?

BTW, in looking at PEP 381 (yeah, I know, I'm a bad person
for waiting so long) I have lots of reservations about the protocol:

- It's potentially complex to implement efficiently, especially given that:

- We've had problems with mirrors getting out of date, meaning that,
potentially, clients should
  check multiple indexes,

- It either requires extra dns calls or relies to heavily on the last
mirror, which is probably likely
  to be the least reliable.

Life is short. We don't have to invent this ourselves.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton