On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Daniel Holth <dho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> WinZip will ignore anything in the front of the file since the zip
> directory doesn't reference it. The #! shebang is for Unix, would
> point to the correct Python, and the +x flag would make it executable.
> The mini PEP is for the .pyz registration and for publicity.

The two big reasons almost nobody knows about the executable zip files
and directories is we forgot to mention it in the original 2.6 What's
New (it's there now, but was added much later), and it was done in a
tracker issue [1] (with Guido participating) rather than as a PEP.

A new PEP to:

* register the .pyz and .pyzw extensions in the 3.4 Windows installer
* ship a tool for creating an executable pyz or pyzw file from a
directory of pure-Python files (warning if any extension files are
noticed, and with the option of bytecode precompilation)

Would be great.

[1] http://bugs.python.org/issue1739468