This issue has been skirted round for some time now, and I think it needs
explicit discussion, as I am not at all sure everyone has the same
expectations.

We're talking about Python 3.4 installations having pip as the default
package manager - whether by bundling, having a bootstrap process or
whatever. Regardless of the means, pip will be *the* installer for Python
3.4+. And yet, I don't think pip 1.4 currently does what people want "the
Python 3.4 pip" to do in some ways - and we need to make sure that any work
on the pip side is understood, agreed to, and planned to match the Python
3.4 timescales.

So, here's my initial list of things that I think people might be expecting
to happen. This is just my impressions, and I don't necessarily have a view
on the individual items. And if anyone else can think of other things to
add to the list, please do so!

1. Install to user-packages by default.
2. Not depend on setuptools (??? - Nick's "inversion" idea)
3. Possibly change the wrapper command name from pip to pip3 on Unix.
4. Ensure that pip upgrading itself in-place is sufficiently robust and
reliable that users don't get "stuck" on the Python-supplied version.

I'm sure I've seen people say other things that have made me think "are you
expecting the pip maintainers to make that change?" in the various threads,
so I doubt this list is definitive.

Comments anyone? Is this discussion premature? The pip maintainers team is
not huge, so we'll need time (or assistance!) to plan in and make changes
like this, if they are needed...

At a minimum, can we get the key items logged on the pip issue tracker with
a milestone of Python 3.4?

Paul