On Jul 13, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This issue has been skirted round for some time now, and I think it needs
> explicit discussion, as I am not at all sure everyone has the same
> expectations.
>
> We're talking about Python 3.4 installations having pip as the default
> package manager - whether by bundling, having a bootstrap process or
> whatever. Regardless of the means, pip will be *the* installer for Python
> 3.4+. And yet, I don't think pip 1.4 currently does what people want "the
> Python 3.4 pip" to do in some ways - and we need to make sure that any work
> on the pip side is understood, agreed to, and planned to match the Python 3.4
> timescales.
>
> So, here's my initial list of things that I think people might be expecting
> to happen. This is just my impressions, and I don't necessarily have a view
> on the individual items. And if anyone else can think of other things to add
> to the list, please do so!
>
> 1. Install to user-packages by default.

Do people really want this? I hadn't seen it (other than if pip was installed
to user by default). I think it's a bad idea to switch this on people. I doubt
the user-packages is going to be in people's default PATH so they'll easily get
into cases where things are installed but they don't know where it was
installed too.

> 2. Not depend on setuptools (??? - Nick's "inversion" idea)

I wanted to do this anyways. It will still "depend" on it, but it will just
bundle setuptools itself like its other dependencies. For pip dependencies are
an implementation detail not an actual thing it can/should have.

> 3. Possibly change the wrapper command name from pip to pip3 on Unix.

Not sure on this. Ideally i'd want the commands to be pipX.Y, pipX, and pip all
available and not install the less specific ones if they already exist but that
might be too hard?

> 4. Ensure that pip upgrading itself in-place is sufficiently robust and
> reliable that users don't get "stuck" on the Python-supplied version.

I've always used pip to upgrade pip. The only time i've had problems is when
setuptools messes up (which would be prevented if bundled).

> I'm sure I've seen people say other things that have made me think "are you
> expecting the pip maintainers to make that change?" in the various threads,
> so I doubt this list is definitive.
>
> Comments anyone? Is this discussion premature? The pip maintainers team is
> not huge, so we'll need time (or assistance!) to plan in and make changes
> like this, if they are needed...
>
> At a minimum, can we get the key items logged on the pip issue tracker with a
> milestone of Python 3.4?
>
> Paul

Donald Stufft