On 18 Jul 2013 08:31, "Vinay Sajip" <vinay_sa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > It's good that distil exists as a proof of concept, but the ship has
sailed
> on the default language level installer: it will be pip.
>
> I understand that it's your call as the packaging czar, but was there any
> discussion about this before the decision was made? Any pros and cons of
> different approaches weighed up? Python 3.4 beta is still 5-6 months away.
> Call me naive, but I would normally have expected a PEP on the bundling
of pip
> to be produced by an interested party/champion, then that people would
discuss
> and refine the PEP on the mailing list, and *then* a pronouncement would
be
> made. This is what PEP 1 describes as the PEP process. Instead, it seems a
> decision has already been made, and now an author/champion for a PEP is
being
> sought ex post facto. With all due respect, this seems back to front - so
it
> would be good to have a better understanding of the factors that went
into the
> decision, including the timing of it. Can you shed some light on this?

Technically the decision *hasn't* been made - there is, as yet, no bundling
PEP for me to consider for any installer, and I've decided not to accept
Richard's bootstrapping PEP due to the issues around delaying the download
to first use. I'd just like to have a bundling PEP posted before I make
that official, so I can refer to it in the rejection notice.

However, even without a PEP, I consider pip the only acceptable option, as
I believe we have no credibility left to burn with the broader Python
development community on tool choices. We've spent years telling everyone
"use distribute over setuptools and pip over easy_install". The former sort
of caught on (but it was subtle, since Linux distros all packaged
distribute as setuptools anyway), and the latter has been quite effective
amongst those that didn't need the binary egg format support.

We're now telling people, OK setuptools is actually fine, but you should
still use pip instead of easy_install and start using wheels instead of
eggs. This is defensible, since even people using distribute were still
importing setuptools.

However, I simply see *no way* we could pull off a migration to a new
recommended installer when the migration from the previous one to the
current one is still far from complete :P

Adding in the distutils2/packaging digression just lowers our collective
credibility even further, and we also get some significant spillover from
the Python 3 transition.

Essentially, don't underestimate how thin the ice we're currently walking
on is community-wise: people are irritated and even outright angry with the
Python core development team, and they have good reasons to be. We need to
remain mindful of that, and take it into account when deciding how to
proceed.