On 18 Jul 2013 09:37, "Vinay Sajip" <vinay_sa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Technically the decision *hasn't* been made - there is, as yet, no
> bundling PEP for me to consider for any installer, and I've decided not to
> accept Richard's bootstrapping PEP due to the issues around delaying the
> download to first use. I'd just like to have a bundling PEP posted before
> make that official, so I can refer to it in the rejection notice.
>
> Technically? Well, "that ship has sailed" seems pretty well decided to
me. I
> know that "technically is the best kind of correct" :-)
>
> But IIUC, your reservations on PEP 439 (I didn't realise that was what
> Donald was referring to in his response) related to Richard's specific
> implementation. I posted an example getpip.py (very simple, I grant you)
> which would get setuptools and pip for users, without the need for
bundling
> anything, plus proposed an equivalent upgrade for pyvenv which would do
the
> same for venvs. There has been no discussion around getpip.py whatsoever,
> AFAIK.

No, my reservations are about delaying the installation of pip to first use
(or any time after the installation of Python). I don't care that much
about the distinction between bundling and install-time bootstrapping and
would appreciate a PEP that explicitly weighed up the pros and cons of
those two approaches (at the very least bundling means you don't need a
reliable network connection at install time, while install time
bootstrapping avoids the problem of old versions of pip, and also gives a
way to bootstrap older Python installations).

> > However, even without a PEP, I consider pip the only acceptable option,
as
> I believe we have no credibility left to burn with the broader Python
> development community on tool choices. We've spent years telling everyone
>
> We don't need to burn any credibility at all. Perhaps python-dev lost some
> credibility when packaging got pulled from 3.3, even though it was a good
> decision made for the right reasons. But you only ask people to believe
you
> when you have some new story to tell them, and pip is hardly new.
>
> > We're now telling people, OK setuptools is actually fine, but you should
> still use pip instead of easy_install and start using wheels instead of
> eggs. This is defensible, since even people using distribute were still
> importing setuptools.
>
> This is something which arose from the coming together of setuptools and
> Distribute. There was no credibility lost promoting Distribute, since
> setuptools never supported Python 3 - until now. There's no credibility
lost
> now promoting setuptools, since it is essentially now the same as
Distribute