On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 3) I'd rather not have to mess with PATHEXT, and I particularly don't
>> want to have to tell my students to do it -- environment variables are
>> a pain, and somehow PATHEXT has been fragile for me (and I don't use
>> Cygwin)
>
> Nobody is suggesting that end users mess with PATHEXT. The proposal is that
> the Python installer does this

ouch! I don't think I'd want PATHEXT set for *.py files -- I'd rather
they get opened by an editor by default than run...or is point+click
behavior different than command line -- shows you how well I know
Windows.

> (indeed, that's been done for Python 3.4, I
> don't know if the installer for the standalone launcher has been updated in
> the same way yet).

There are those of us still in the 2.7 world -- and I suspect for a good while.

> I'm suggesting that we collect specifics on any "fragility" (can you provide
> details of what has gone wrong for you?)

well, for PATHEXT, the env variable has to be set right, and Windows
kind of hides all that from you -- it's really a pain to edit them by
hand, so if the installer doesn't do it, or someone re-builds their
registry or profile, or what have you, then it'll break. Oh and the
cygwin (and who know what other shell alternatives) issue. At least we
can pretty much count on an exe running if the shell can find it...

Fragiity for the exe approach -- all I know is that the setuptools
binary was proken a while back -- but setuptools itself was in a bit
of a void of not-quite-sure-if-its maintained, and
not-sure-even-how-to-report-a-bug state. It seems that setuptools (or
whatever this will be part of) has now been adopted by the core Python
community, so we can expect good support -- let's hope so. Anyway,
whether the exe approach was more or less fragile than anyting else,
is sure was harder to debug/fix for anyone that doesn't know Windows
and non-python development well.

>> I cant help thinking a more elegant solution exists, but maybe not.
>
> Personally, I believe that executable .py scripts (or maybe a dedicated
> .pys/.pye/.pya/whatever extension) *is* a more elegant solution - but
> equally, I concede, "maybe not"...

well, I guess that's the way Windows does things -- *nix has the
executable bit, Windows uses extensions, so I suppose that is "the
way" to get an executable script -- but it really SHOULDN'T be *.py!

> I think it's worth trying, though.

agreed.

I've lost track of what needs to be tried -- can't we just associate
an extension with py and give it a go? (got to get that Windos VM
working....)

> Also, you mention develop mode. I don't use develop mode, most of my
> standalone scripts are single-file scripts, not anything that I'd bother
> packaging up with a setup.py, etc.

Good point -- it seem most of my scripts are part of a larger package,
either a set of scripts, or a couple scripts that all rely on a
particular package, so the whole setup.py thing works well.

but for a single stand-alone script, the PATHEXT and py launcher
approach seems really natural.

> And many of the issues I've had with the exe wrappers are particular to
> built installers (wheels, wininsts) and *not* develop mode.

in theory, wheels and develop mode should do the same thing -- not
sure about wininsts -- previously, the launcher thing was setuptools,
not plain distutils, not sure how that was handled.

but it would be best if they all did it the same way.

> PS I still think that long-term a policy PEP on the recommended way of
> making "executable scripts" is worthwhile.

Probably, yes:  "There should be one-- and preferably only one
--obvious way to do it."

I'm leaning toward the PATHEXT approach -- it seems more si milar to
the *nix way, and perhaps easeir for lay folks to debug and fix. But
I'm saying tha tthe exe method worked fine for many of us, too.

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov