On 14 August 2013 16:49, Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To give an example of where these subprocess issues might matter.
> sphinx auto-generates Makefiles that call 'sphinx-build' with no
> extension. The sphinx-build command has a setuptools .exe wrapper so
> that it will be picked up. I wouldn't confidently assume that for all
> combinations of Windows version and 'make' implementation that 'make'
> would know how to find sphinx-build for anything other than an .exe.

OK, that's a pretty solid use case, and pretty clearly demonstrates that
there will be issues with anything other than an exe.

So we come full circle again - I'm pretty sure the last time this came up a
month or so ago, someone came up with a scenario that convinced me to give
up on executable script files. I definitely will at some point write up
*some* sort of document on best practices for wrapping Python code
(scripts, apps, whatever) as OS commands, in a cross-platform way.

Paul