On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:11 PM, Noah Kantrowitz <n...@coderanger.net> wrote:
> Please stop submitting pull requests. Development on the existing codebase is
> halted except for critical fixes or security issues. You are making extra
> work for people on this list and it will not be tolerated. Please consider
> this your final warning.

I can't live as long as you are to see the new incantation of Python
website (by PyCon 2013) or PyPI. I am willing to help, and this stuff
you're saying is rather discouraging and like "no, go waste your time
somewhere else, we are not giving any code reviews for free". I
understand that my reputation precedes me, but can we keep this
strictly technical?

What I am trying to do is to send small, incremental fixes. They don't
affect security. I can commit it directly to avoid distracting
overloaded PyPI (bus factor 2) team, and you can blame me for breaking
things - ok, and ban if I break something - that's also ok. If learn
previous PyPI and new PyPI, I can tell people more about it, and you
can expect more pull requests - not from me, for new PyPI, once it is
ready.

And if I am going to submit any new features, like reST validation on
edit and Markdown support - the code will be more decoupled than
existing one to be almost directly reused for the new site.

Why I am skeptical that new site will replace old one soon? Just
because I don't believe in rewrites by one man army. When you develop
public resource, you need to rely on external feedback. You also need
some designer guy in a team. You also need a backlog for
collaboration. My ETA for new PyPI is no earlier than PyCon 2014 if
Donald and Richard will be working on it full time. So, instead of
all-or-nothing scenario I can try to find some help with incremental
approach.
--
anatoly t.