On 16 Jan 2014 18:08, "Paul Moore" <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 January 2014 01:25, Chris Jerdonek <chris.jerdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there a description somewhere of the plan for what
> > packaging-related information will be covered in docs.python.org
> > proper (and the stages for getting there), and which information will
> > be off-loaded to the documentation for the other projects that Marcus
> > mentioned?
>
> I don't have a clear picture of the split myself but it seems to me
> that docs.python.org should be the master reference data for
> *distutils*. That's somewhat screwed, though, as we're recommending
> use of setuptools, and setuptools messes round so invasively with
> distutils that the usefulness of pure distutils documentation is
> limited :-(

I'm currently thinking the stdlib docs should aim to be an always available
reminder/quick reference for end users, and a full reference for packaging
and build tool developers.

For the end user reference, tutorials, etc, it would defer to the cross
version guide.

> I still think that the best resource available would be a basic "best
> practice" project template for a simple pure-python package with a few
> tests. I started putting one together myself
> (https://github.com/pfmoore/sampleproject). It's basically done, but
> I'm not sure how it (or something like it) could be incorporated into
> the docs. At the moment, I tend to use it as a cut-and-paste starting
> point, and I suspect that most people have something similar. Also, it
> makes me a bit sad how complicated the setup.py ended up looking
> (given that it was supposed to be a "minimum starting point"
> example...
>
> Maybe if pip gets support for plugin commands, I could write a "pip
> new-project" command that generates an empty project template. That
> might be a good place for it - although it takes pip away from being a
> pure package management tool and into more of a project development
> tool, which maybe isn't right. I'd rather not add yet another tool to
> my "essential staring point for building a project" toolset, though...

Audrey Roy's "cookiecutter" project is just such a tool (although her
default config is far from minimal - setup.py, GitHub, ReadTheDocs, tox,
Travis, documentation skeleton, etc. It's all reasonable recommendations,
though)