On Jan 30, 2014, at 12:33 AM, Evgeny Sazhin <eug...@sazhin.us> wrote:

>> Eh, I think both 1 and 3 are things that are possibly reasonable to happen
>> and
>> they are both things that I've contemplated as things to bring forward in
>> using xz as an alternative compression format. Even if #1 would need a major
>> revision of Wheel to happen adding official "support" for zip import means
>> that
>> the change would have to be weighed against also breaking that backwards
>> compatibility.
>

> Eh, please don’t break it!! Improve! Keep the ability to add wheels to python
> path.
> I don’t care how, zip import, non-zip import, whatever - allow for jar-like
> behavior - people will thank you if it will work properly !;)
> I know, i’m probably alone in the desert…l;)

OTOH if this is such a bad idea - what would be the least intrusive way for me
to deploy the code? What about unzipped wheel? If I have wheels in one location
and then my release procedure knows to unzip them in the folder that matches
the wheel name and structure completely, would it be possible to add this
unzipped folder to the PYTHONPATH and run the program? Is that closer to what
you guys are preaching??

Thanks,
Eugene