On 4 February 2014 09:23, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> To me, the correct solution would have been to isolate the bug and
> remove it, but I completely understand the pragmatic approach you
> took. But that leaves a "dark corner" where people might be afraid
> to experiment in this area with pip, because it's somehow "scary"

The big problem with this type of thing is that pip tends to be used
on lots of systems with sometimes *extremely* obscure and odd setups -
what some of the Linux distros do to a standard Python install amazes
me (I'm sure they have good reasons, of course...). So it's not so
much a case of "scary dark corners" as lots of unanticipated and
extremely difficult to reproduce use cases that we have to support but
where the only knowledge of what workarounds are needed is
encapsulated in the code.

It's a classic maintain vs reimplement issue, unfortunately...

Paul