From:Michael Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com>

> OK so why does PEP-426 compatibility imply removal of command line switches
> from setup.py files ?

As far as I know, it doesn't. My distil tools complies with a fairly recent
version of PEP 426 and AFAIK has no problem building / installing SQLAlchemy
with / without extensions, but it uses an extended set of metadata which is not
specified in any PEP - for example,

http://www.red-dove.com/pypi/projects/S/SQLAlchemy/package-0.9.3.json

This is just FYI - it's experimental metadata [which has some redundancy for
historical reasons, to be tidied up in the future] and is extracted from what
is passed to setup.py - it includes the PEP 426 metadata as a subset
("index-metadata"), and the extra stuff is needed for building. This is used by
the distil tool, but there's no support for any specific command-line flags to
exclude the building extensions. (That's not because of PEP compliance - it's
just that I haven't needed that level of control in the tool.)

Regards,

Vinay Sajip