On 03-07-14 19:01, Jim Fulton wrote:

I'm really hoping that Docker will eventually allow us to stop
building system packages though.

Yes. Sounds like you can use whatever method you want to build up a docker image and be done with it.

Hopefully you'll do it in a nicely ordered repeatable way with some combination of fabric/ansible/buildout/puppet/whatever. Things like adding nginx to the docker and symlinking a buildout-generated nginx config file into the /etc/nginx directory suddenly don't run afoul of I-need-to-be-root anymore.

I wonder what this means for buildout :-) Like you said, a docker instance means there's less need for the isolation of buildout (and virtualenv).

On the other hand, buildout could install/adjust things globally in /etc directly, for instance! The "compose a complete application" promise of buildout gets an extra boost this way.

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                          http://reinout.vanrees.org/
rein...@vanrees.org                   http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/