> On Sep 20, 2014, at 11:26 AM, Ian Cordasco <graffatcolmin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I, for one, am happy that this conversation is happening because I
> wasn't aware of other communities that did this (but was aware that it
> happened on PyPI). That said, I would really appreciate people's
> suggestions be contained to improving the process, not towards
> modifying PyPI. At this point, as I understand it, PyPI is incredibly
> hard to modify safely for a number of reasons that others are likely
> better to speak to. Warehouse has a clear definition, design,  and
> goals and I don't know if adding these on after-the-fact in a
> semi-haphazard way will improve anything. The more useful discussion
> right now will be to talk about process and how we can improve it and
> help Richard with it.
>
> Cheers

For the record, CPAN and npm both have similar things allowing someone to take
over an abandoned project.

I don’t believe ruby gems has an official policy and it appears that they are
hesitant
to do this form the threads I’ve seen (Though they mentioned doing it for _why).

Most of the Linux distros have some mechanism for someone to claim that a
particular
package in the distro is no longer maintained and to attempt to take it over,
though
that is somewhat different.

---
Donald Stufft