On 15 October 2014 12:20, Stefan Krah <stefank...@freenet.de> wrote:

> At this point (and possibly before) you are just trolling and not worth
> any further correspondence.  If some of your feigned surprise questions
> are actually genuine, I recommend walking away from the keyboard for a
> couple of weeks and reading some literature.
>
> Otherwise it is just a waste of time to attempt any further conversation.

Stefan, I personally apologise if at any point you, or any other
developer that chooses to use non-PyPI hosting, has ever been (or even
felt) personally attacked over your hosting choices. There's no way we
can hope to ensure that folks that are passionate about the end user
experience offered by the Python packaging ecosystem first come up to
speed on the subtleties of copyright licensing (and the concerns
around the current clause in PyPI's conditions of use that ensures,
amongst other things, the legal right to operate PyPI mirrors) or US
export restrictions (and the fact that uploading to PyPI requires
agreeing to abide by them, which may not be an acceptable condition
for non-US based developers).

However, balancing multiple competing viewpoints is *why* we have the
Python Enhancement Proposal process, and this is why the accepted PEPs
have always included external hosting support, even when the feature
has been missing from some of the earlier draft proposals.

You don't need to fight that battle any more - it was won a long time
ago (and was never really in danger of being lost).

At the same time, silently introducing additional points of failure
into users' infrastructure, and especially introducing silent
vulnerabilities to man-in-the-middle DNS hijacking attacks, is *not*
OK. Eliminating those two problems has been the focus of many of the
more controversial PyPI changes over the past year or more, so it is
entirely understandable that developers that choose to use external
hosting *have* felt personally attacked, especially when other
developers have failed to understand why "just host your packages on
PyPI" isn't always going to be an acceptable answer.

The latest proposal in PEP 470 is designed to provide a mechanism
which is completely explicit (so end users always know when they're
depending on additional repositories beyond PyPI), while also
relatively streamlined (so end users don't complain when a developer
chooses to make use of the external hosting support). The previous
design in PEP 438 ended up failing on both of those counts, which is
why there is now this new proposal to replace it with a different
mechanism that has been designed to address the existing usability
challenges.

Regards,