> On Jan 25, 2015, at 11:45 AM, Randy Syring <ra...@thesyrings.us> wrote:
>
> Therefore, I'd like to propose something like a packaging-announce mailing
> list.  This could be linked to the PyPA Twitter account.  Then, announcements
> that pertain to the broader Python community would be cross posted to the
> distutils-sig and packaging-announce (and therefore twitter).

+1 to this.

I think the key observation here is that there are two audiences when it comes
to packaging:

1. A large audience of folks who are package authors and maintainers, who want
to know about the latest developments and best practices.

2. The smaller audience of folks who know packaging well and are working hard
to improve it and having discussions among themselves on how to best move
things forward.

I don't know of an information channel that serves #1 well. The ones I know of
try to handle both. I think having different channels for each group will
improve the experience for both groups.

Randy, I'm willing to help if you want.

Marc