On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Ionel Cristian Mărieș <cont...@ionelmc.ro
> > wrote:
>
>> The --record is for making a list of installed files. You don't need it
>> if you don't use record.txt anywhere.
>>

> thanks -- I"ll take that out...

Actually, I took that out, and got:

running install
error: You must specify --record or --root when building system packages

so it's needed I guess.

By the way, the error I get if I do a raw setup.py install is:

"""
RuntimeError: Setuptools downloading is disabled in conda build. Be sure to
add all dependencies in the meta.yaml  url=
https://pypi.python.org/simple/petulant-bear/r
Command failed: /bin/bash -x -e
/Users/chris.barker/PythonStuff/IOOS_packages/conda-recipes/wicken/build.sh
"""

so setuptools is trying to install petulant-bear, but conda has disables
that. But it is, in fact installed, conda having done that to prepare the
environment.

So this is why I just want to tell setuptools to not try to download and
install dependencies

But we're getting off topic here -- should probably put in a feature
request for "--no-deps" for install and build commands.

-CHB