On 16 May 2015 at 04:34, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
> So I can’t speak for ReadTheDocs, but I believe that they are considering
> and/or are planning on offering arbitrary HTML uploads similarly to how
> you can upload documentation to PyPI. I don’t know if this will actually
> happen and what it would look like but I know they are thinking about it.

I've never tried it with ReadTheDocs, but in theory the ".. raw::
html" docutils directive allows arbitrary HTML content to be embedded
in a reStructuredText page.

Regardless, "Can ReadTheDocs do X?" questions are better asked on
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/read-the-docs, while both
GitHub and Atlassian (via BitBucket) offer free static HTML hosting.

In relation to the original question, +1 for attempting to phase out
PyPI's documentation hosting capability in favour of delegating to
RTFD or third party static HTML hosting. One possible option to
explore that minimises disruption for existing users might be to stop
offering it to *new* projects, while allowing existing projects to
continue uploading new versions of their documentation.