On 7 July 2015 at 07:46, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2015 22:34:38 +0100
> Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6 July 2015 at 19:18, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:
>> > What if packagers take care of working around the issue?
>> > (for example by building on a suitably old Linux platform, as we
>> > already do for Conda packages)
>>
>> At the moment it's just a simple "if the wheel is for Linux, reject it" test.
>>
>> As to whether that's too conservative, one of the Linux guys would
>> need to comment. Maybe the issue is simply that we can't be sure
>> people will take the care that you do, and the risk of people getting
>> broken installs is too high?
>
> Then how about a warning, or a rejection by default with a well-known
> way to bypass it?

Unfortunately, the compatibility tagging for Linux wheels is currently
so thoroughly inadequate that even in tightly controlled environments
having a wheel file escape from its "intended" target platforms can
cause hard to debug problems.

There was a good proposal not that long ago to add a "platform tag
override" capability to both pip (for installation) and bdist_wheel
(for publication), but I don't know what became of that.

If we had that system, then I think it would be reasonable to allow
Linux uploads with a "pypi_linux_x86_64" override tag - they'd never
be installed by default, but folks could opt in to allowing them.