On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 19:32:37 -0400
Tres Seaver <tsea...@palladion.com> wrote:

> Compared to Windows, and even somewhat OS/X, the win for uploading wheels
> to PyPI is miniscule:  pretty much everybody developing on Linux has or
> can get the toolchain required to build a wheel from an sdist, and can
> share those built wheels across the hosts she knows to be compatible.

That's a dramatically uninformed statement, to put it politely...  Some
packages have difficult-to-meet build dependencies, and can also take a
long time to do so.

llvmlite, the package I'm talking about, builds against the
development libraries for LLVM 3.6 (a non-trivial download and install,
assuming you can find binaries of that LLVM version for your OS
version.... otherwise, count ~20 minutes to compile it with a modern
quad-core CPU).  We regularly have bug reports from people failing to
compile the package on Linux (and OS X), which is why we are considering
the option of pre-built binary wheels (in addition to the conda
packages we already provide, and which some people are reluctant to
use).

Regards

Antoine.