On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:

> The "src" convention is actually terrible when working with Python
> code, since suddenly you can't experiment easily on a VCS checkout, you
> have to do extra steps and/or write helper scripts for it.
>
> The fact that few Python projects, including amongst the most popular
> projects, use that convention mean it's really not considered a good
> practice, nor convenient.

​Convenience over correctness - I can understand that. Using virtualenvs
(or tox) is not always something people want. People get attached to
certain workflows, that's fine with me.​ But lets not confuse that with
what's right. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it anywhere close to
correct. It means it works, once in a while people hit some pitfalls,
suffer for it but continue the same way. The same people then complain
about "terrible" packaging experience in Python.

I think we should look at this more meticulously, not solely through the
perspective of what's popular.

Thanks,
-- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, http://blog.ionelmc.ro