> Maybe the community will spring forth and do that -- I'm skeptical because I
> tried to to that for years for OS-X and it was just too much to do. And the
> infrastructure was there.
>
> Before pip and wheel there were mpkgs on OS-X, and repo's of toms for Linux
> years before that -- but always the result of a couple people's heroic
> efforts.
>
> Maybe the infrastructure has improved, and the community grown enough, that
> this will all work. We'll see.

I think the infrastructure has improved. For instance I invested some
time and effort to provide a template configuration to build C/C++
compiled extensions for windows wheels on top of the free AppVeyor.com
CI platform [1].

Since then this build configuration has been integrated in the python
packaging documentation [2] and I had the opportunity to present that
work at PyCon [3] (and PyCon FR) last year. Now the community of
project maintainers has picked it up. I can count more than 300
projects using this build setup on github. I have very little work to
do to help them maintain that infra-strucuture nowadays. Even the
configuration upgrade to make it work with MSVC 2015 / Python 3.5 was
contributed to my repo before I could find the time to investigate the
issue my-self.

My point is that once we have clearly defined best-practices for
packaging and convenient tools to build the packages automatically and
test that they work as expected (e.g. free hosted CI that support
running an old centos-based docker container), I am rather confident
that the community will do the work.

It's mostly a matter of providing good tools and education resources
(documentation and example configuration templates).

[1] https://github.com/ogrisel/python-appveyor-demo/
[2] https://www.appveyor.com/docs/packaging-artifacts
[3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-p6lJJObLU

--