> So without a plan to provide all that stuff -- I"m not sure of the utility
> of this -- how are you gong to get PIL/Pillow to work? statically link up
> the ying-yang? Not sure the linux world will take to that.

We can explain how things work in details for some packages, but the main
rationale for the PEP list is that this is a list that works in practice.
It has worked well for us at Enthought for many years, and it has for
(Ana)conda as well.

My point was that it works in those cases because Enthought and Continuum
provide a bunch of (often hard to build) packages that provide all the
extra stuff.

Maybe the community will spring forth and do that -- I'm skeptical because
I tried to to that for years for OS-X and it was just too much to do. And
the infrastructure was there.

Before pip and wheel there were mpkgs on OS-X, and repo's of toms for Linux
years before that -- but always the result of a couple people's heroic
efforts.

Maybe the infrastructure has improved, and the community grown enough, that
this will all work. We'll see.

CHB

Between both distributions, we are talking about millions of installs over
the year, on many different systems.

David