On 25 January 2016 at 10:23, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:

>> On Jan 24, 2016, at 7:21 PM, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe we need wheel-builders-sig? Their mandate would be to hash out
>> things like how to build binary-libraries-wrapped-up-in-wheels, share
>> knowledge about the minutiae of linker behavior on different platforms
>> (oh god there's so much minutiae), maintain tools like delocate and
>> auditwheel (and whatever the equivalent will be for windows... and do
>> we really need 3 different tools?), collect knowledge from where it's
>> scattered now and put it into the guide at packaging.python.org [1],
>> etc.? It seems a bit outside distutils-sig's focus in practice, since
>> this would all be about third-party tools and individual package
>> authors as opposed to distutils-sig's focus on writing
>> interoperability PEPs and maintaining the core python.org-affiliated
>> infrastructure like PyPI / setuptools / pip.
>
> I’m not about to tell someone they *have* to use distutils-sig, but I
> think at this point it’s perfectly reasonable to discuss things of
> this nature here as well.

I agree with this - while I wouldn't call any aspect of software
distribution easy, binary compatibility is one of the hardest, and we
want *more* knowledge sharing in that regard, rather than continue to
maintain the divide between "folks who care about binary
compatibility" and "folks who wish everyone would just stop creating
extension modules already because pure Python modules are so much
easier to deal with" :)

Keeping the discussions centralised also creates more opportunities
for serendipitous collaboration, where folks notice that they can
potentially help out with what someone else is working on.

> distutils-sig would really be more accurate
> if it was named packaging-sig, but historical reasons ;)

I kind of look forward to a distant future where we *do* decide to
rename it, as that will mean all of the more pressing concerns have
already been knocked off the todo list :)