On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 10:49 PM, Robert T. McGibbon <rmcgi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 10:29 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal <
> chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:
>
>> Given that we're starting now ( not a year or two ago) and it'll take
>> a while for it to really catch on, we should go CentOS 6 ( or
>> equivalent ) now?
>>
>> CentOS5 was released in 2007! That is a pretty long time in computing.
>>

> I understand the concern, but I think we should follow the lead of the
> other projects
> that have been doing portable linux binaries (holy build box, traveling
> ruby, portable-pypy,
> firefox, enthought, continuum) for some time, all based on CentOS 5.

That's the point -- they have been doing it for some time -- some time ago,
you really wouls want a version that old.

The question is -- how many systems are there in teh wild now that are
older than CentOS6? I have no idea how to even find out. But if we're
starting somethign new, why start with what was appropriate 2+ years ago?

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov