To my knowledge, metadata 2.0 does not have any reliable means to specify a repository URL.
So how do you propose to retrieve this information?

15.04.2016, 13:05, Thomas Güttler kirjoitti:

Am 14.04.2016 um 14:31 schrieb Ian Cordasco:

On Apr 14, 2016 2:20 AM, "Thomas Güttler" <guettl...@thomas-guettler.de <mailto:guettl...@thomas-guettler.de>> wrote:

 > I think it would be very cool if you could install a package editable
 > without the repo-url.
 >
 > The default repo-url can be defined in the meta-data of the package.
 >
> Background: I came across this becaus saltstack prefers the branch "develop", but
 > most other repos use the branch "master".
 >
 > Yes, this is no big problem. I figured out the right repo url soon.
 >
 > Next use case: you use software third-party-foo-lib in your project.
 > Up to now you use it as package. You find a bug and want to fix it.
> Wouldn't it be great if you could just type "pip install -e third-party-foo-lib"
 > and now you are read to create pull requests?

I don't understand how this makes me ready to submit pull requests. Can you explain a little more?

This:

 pip install -e third-party-foo-lib

should be the same as:

 pip install -e git+https://..../@mydevbranch#egg=third-party-foo-lib

And the information needed to build the URL (in above example git+https://..../@mydevbranch)
should be provided by setup.py.

Result: you have an editable checkout.

You are right, pull requests most often need a fork first. This is far out of scope.

But for custom (non public) projects hosted in a corporate lan, you get a ready-to-push
checkout.

Is this enough explanation? Please ask if you have further question.

Regards,
  Thomas Güttler