On 5 May 2016 at 07:57, Robert Collins <robe...@robertcollins.net> wrote:
> We've a history in this group of biting off too much and things not
> getting executed. We're *still* in the final phases of deploying
> PEP-508, and it was conceptually trivial. I'm not arguing that we
> shouldn't make things better, I'm arguing that tying two separate
> things together because we *can* seems, based on the historical
> record, to be unwise.

This is a very good point, and ties in nicely with Nick's comment
about taking small steps to make things better than they currently
are.

On that basis, I'd be +1 on a simple proposal to add a new "install
this stuff before we do the build" capability that sits in setup.cfg.
Let's keep build isolation off the table for now.

There's probably enough substantive detail (I'll do my best to avoid
bikeshedding over trivia :-)) to thrash out in that simple proposal.
For example, if package foo specifies that it needs a new version of
setuptools to build, is it OK for "pip install foo" to automatically
upgrade setuptools, or should it fail with an error "your setuptools
is too old"? If it does auto-upgrade, then if the build of foo fails,
is it OK that we won't be able to revert the upgrade of setuptools?
How should we handle cases where a package specifies that the it needs
an *older* version of setuptools? I'd expect we simply bail and report
an error for that one - it should never really happen, so why waste
time on "clever" solutions?

Anyway, we can have these sorts of debate when we get down to details.
Paul