On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 at 23:02 Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2016, at 6:25 AM, Pradyun Gedam <pradyu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There is currently a proposal to change the behaviour to pip install to
> upgrade a package that is passed even if it is already installed.
>
> This behaviour change is accompanied with a change in the upgrade strategy
> - pip would stop “eagerly” upgrading dependencies and would become more
> conservative, upgrading a dependency only when it doesn’t meet lower
> constraints of the newer version of a parent. Moreover, the behaviour of pip
> install --target would also be changed so that --upgrade no longer
> affects it.
>
> I think bundling these two changes (and I think I might have been the one
> that originally suggested it) is making this discussion harder than it
> needs to be as folks are having to fight on multiple different fronts at
> once. I think the change to the default behavior of pip install is
> dependent on the change to —upgrade, so I suggest we focus on the change to
> —upgrade first, changing from a “recursive” to a “conservative” strategy.
> Once we get that change figured out and landed then we can worry about what
> to do with pip install.

You were. In fact, the majority swayed in favour of changing the behaviour
of pip install post one of your comments on Github.

I'll be happier *only* seeing in change the behaviour of --upgrade and not
--target or pip install. It reduces the number of things that changes from
3 to 1. Much easier to discuss about.

I’m not going to repeat the entire post, but I just made a fairly lengthy
> comment at https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/3786#issuecomment-228611906 but
> to try and boil it down to a few points:

Thanks for this.

> * ``pip install —upgrade`` is not a good security mechanism, relying on it
> is inconsistent at best. If we want to support trying to keep people on
> secure versions of software we need a better mechanism than this anyways,
> so we shouldn’t let it influence our choice here.

AFAIK, this was the only outstanding concern raised against having a
non-eager (conservative) upgrade strategy.

* For the general case, it’s not going to matter a lot which way we go, but
> not upgrading has the greatest chance of not breaking *already installed
> software*.

I strongly agree with this. Another thing worth a mention is that it's
easier to get the lower bounds of your requirements correct, rather than
upper bounds.

> * For the hard-to-upgrade case, the current behavior is so bad that people
> are outright attempting to subvert the way pip typically behaviors, *AND*
> advocating for other’s to do the same, in an attempt to escape that
> behavior. I think that this is not a good place to be in.

Ditto.

—

> Donald Stufft

Happy-to-see-Donald's-response-ly,