On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Honestly, I don't see what's so bad about pth files. They are a
> standard supported Python approach. Maybe setuptools' use of them is
> messy?

exactly.

The fact that setuptools over-uses (abuses?) pth files doesn't mean that
they can't be used reasonably.

and given the differences of filesystems, it's a not-too-bad way to
simulate symbolic links :-)

Why not just have a single pth file, maintained by the build
> tool, for all editable installs?

shouldn't that be maintained by the install tool? i.e. pip -- the whole
idea is that the install tool is different than the built tool, yes? and
adding a package in editable mode is an installation job, not a build job.

Also -- the idea here is that pip will know it's installed so it can
upgrade, de-install, etc, so it really is pip's job to maintain the
"editable_install.pth" file.

Most users would then only have one
> or two pth files.

let's us make sure we don't end up with the easy_install.pth nightmare!

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov