On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28 November 2016 at 17:53, Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:
> >> Why not just have a single pth file, maintained by the build
> >> tool, for all editable installs?
> >
> > shouldn't that be maintained by the install tool? i.e. pip -- the whole
> idea
> > is that the install tool is different than the built tool, yes? and
> adding a
> > package in editable mode is an installation job, not a build job.
> >
> > Also -- the idea here is that pip will know it's installed so it can
> > upgrade, de-install, etc, so it really is pip's job to maintain the
> > "editable_install.pth" file.
>
> Sorry - I was confusing "build tool" vs "install tool" here. Not
> intentionally, but the confusion is real.

it sure is!

> Setuptools is a build tool,
> and yet (currently) handles editable installs.

setuptools is a build tool, and an install tool, and a runtime resource
manager, and a package manger / install tool -- source of lots of
confusion, and what we are trying to get away from, yes? ;-)

So IMO, part of
> finalising editable install support would be thrashing out which
> aspects of the process are the responsibility of the build tool, and
> which the install tool. That's a non-trivial design job, so in the
> interests of keeping things moving, it seems to me that "defer a
> decision for now" remains the right decision here.

fair enough.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov