On Thursday, December 15, 2016, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 December 2016 at 15:58, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > On 16 December 2016 at 01:38, Wes Turner <wes.tur...@gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >>

> >> No, the problem is the same; and solving it (joining user-specific
> package
> >> metadata with central repository metadata on a common URI) with web
> >> standards is the best approach.
> >
> > Then do what Donald did with crate.io: go develop your own PyPI
> > competitor that uses your new and better approach to prove your point.
> >
> > As things stand, you're just generating noise and link spam on the
> > list, and asking politely for you to stop it doesn't appear to be
> > working
>
> Just to add my POV, I also find your posts unhelpful, Wes. There's not
> enough information for me to evaluate what you say, and you offer no
> actual solutions to what's being discussed.

I could quote myself suggesting solutions in this thread, if you like?

> As Nick says, if you can demonstrate what you're suggesting via a
> prototype implementation, that might help. But endless posts of links
> to standards documents that I have neither the time nor the
> inclination to read are not useful.

I'm suggesting that the solution here is to create version-controlled
collections of resources with metadata.

With schema.org types, those are Collection s of CreativeWork s. (Or, e.g.
SoftwareApplicationCollection s of SoftwareApplication s)

With Django, one would create a ListView generic view for the given
resource type; and then define e.g. an api.py for DRF (Django REST
Framework), and an index.py for Haystack (Elastic search).

A Pyramid implementation would be similar; with additional tests and code
just like Donald.

[Links omitted because you can now copy/paste keywords into the search
engines yourself; because you're unable to scroll past citations to find
the content you're looking for.]

DWBP and BP-LD would be useful reading for Warehouse API developers seeking
to add additional functionality to support the aforementioned use cases
with maximally-compatible linked open data.

Again,
Have a good day.