On Sat, Jul 15, 2017, at 08:33 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:
> I wonder if maybe it would be more useful to simply recommend that instead of
> shelling out to random vcs binaries that these projects depend on (or bundle)
> libraries to directly interact with a repository. For instance, if your
> project supports git, then you can use dulwich or pygit2 and then the
> invariant of “building inside of a docker container without `git` installed”
> still remains functional.
I did consider this kind of approach. It might be feasible for git using
dulwich (pygit2 expects libgit2 on your system, so you can't just require it as
a Python package). But it's ironically not workable with mercurial, even though
it's pure Python, because hg uses Python 2, while flit requires Python 3. And I
don't see this working reliably for svn, or bzr, or other less common VCSs.
So at least for flit, I think we will continue to rely on external, non-pip
installable dependencies for this. This isn't a problem so long as building an
sdist isn't necessary to get a project installed.
Thomas