So in summary:
- NotImplementedError
- Remove build_dir and specify that no modifications can be made to the
source directory

On the third issue:

I understand where Nathaniel is coming from in regards to sys.path. But
there should at least be an option for this because of for example, numpy:
numpy builds itself with it's own build system that is defined in the
source directory. If you remove '' from sys.path, then numpy cannot build
itself because there is no other numpy.distutils package.