On 31 August 2017 at 06:36, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 9:56 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 31 August 2017 at 14:22, xoviat <xov...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Again, let me repeat that: wheels generated using setuptools are valid for
>>> CPython only if build on CPython. This is not the current setuptools
>>> behavior but will be for all setuptools build backend calls (I assume legacy
>>> will remain the same).
>>
>> While I do think your proposal would work (on the assumption that
>> folks aren't use "pip wheel" to generate their wheel files for
>> upload),
>
> I use 'pip wheel' to generate wheel files for upload... (I like to
> generate an sdist and then build a wheel from that, and 'pip wheel
> sdist.tar.gz' is more convenient than manually unpacking and running
> bdist_wheel. )

Agreed. The wheels built by "pip wheel" mustn't change (and that means
that neither pip nor the setuptools backend should not change the tags
it applies to wheels by default).

The fact that pip artificially restricts wheels it builds as part of
its internal use to be platform-specific is a workaround for an
underlying problem, which is that it cannot guarantee that an
internally-built wheel will be the same as one that the project later
publishes for that version (it's a variation on the wheel equivalency
problem we've been discussing). Rather than artificially modifying the
compatibility tags, pip should cache internally-built wheels
differently, so that wheels published by the upstream project have
priority over pip-built wheels. That's a change that purely affects
pip and is unrelated to PEP 517 directly, but it's something pip
probably needs to do to prepare for switching to PEP 517. (xoviat -
sorry I didn't think of this when commenting on the PR - it was Nick's
suggestion here that made the situation clearer to me).

>> an alternative approach with a lower risk of unintended side
>> effects would be for *pip* to either rename the autobuilt file before
>> adding it to the cache, or else to adjust its caching strategy a bit
>> to internally separate a shared wheel download cache from
>> per-interpreter-compatibility-tag caches for locally built wheel
>> files.
>
> +1

Yes. Renaming is a hack, to be honest, and improving the caching
strategy would be my preference.
Paul