On Thu, Jun 28, 2018, at 8:25 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
> I can see the practicality argument here. I don't think (correct me if
> I'm wrong!) that anyone particularly anticipated when we were drafting
> PEP 518 that the tools section would be used by anything other than
> build tools - I know I hadn't anticipated that usage. In hindsight
> it's an obvious thing to do, but it does mean that pyproject.toml is
> more of a "general project configuration" file than purely a build
> configuration one.

I agree - I didn't really think about this, but it is obvious in hindsight: we
provide one obvious place to put configuration, and people put it there. :-)

Maybe pip should be switching behaviour based on the presence of the
[build-system] table in the toml file, rather than just the presence of
pyproject.toml?

(I'm only half following this discussion, so apologies if someone already
suggested this).

Thomas