On 28 June 2018 at 18:45, Bernat Gabor <gaborjber...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the pep it's stated tools can use the tool section
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0518/#id28 and at no point says build
> tools only. So I don't think at all strange that towncrier uses it. It
> follows the words of the pep quite rigourously.

The whole PEP is about *build* tools, and in that context, that's what
was meant. Maybe the PEP should have been more explicit. Maybe we
should have thought about this at the time. Maybe lots of things, but
the reality is that we *didn't* intend it to be used for non-build
tools, and nevertheless it is being used in that way. We should deal
with things as they are now, and not spend ages debating whether
things "should" be the way they are.

That's not to say that build-system.requires *has* to be optional - we
could decide that we want to be strict and towncrier et al have to
deal with it. But it does mean that doing that will cause breakage,
which I suspect means that we shouldn't.

Paul