Speaking as a maintainer of various different packages for the Pylons project,
we include the following in our sdists:

- source code for the package
- tests for the package
- documentation for the package

and of course the license/history/changelog/everything you'd theoretically need
to create a fork (minus .git). Our sdists are pretty big as a result.

In our wheels we ship:

- source code for the package/software

And nothing else, tests are not included in the wheel. Some people do ship
tests with their wheel, but we try not to, to keep wheel sizes small.

It comes down to personal preference, we tend to think that source dist means
exactly that, a source distribution.

Bert