Wayne Werner <waynejwer...@gmail.com> writes:

> It depends on whether or not you require docs or tests with your software.
> Most of the libraries that I've written require neither - nobody is going
> to be running the tests

How can you know that?

If someone wants to try some changes based on the source distribution
(the ‘sdist’) they downloaded, why do you assume they won't run the test
suite?

Rather, I think you should assume that the source distribution is likely
to be used by at least some recipients as a starting point to make and
test and redistribute changes to your work (maybe many years later, when
the VCS hosting has gone away).

For that reason you must not be so certain no-one will want to have
those files in the source distribution.

> and if they want the documentation then they're probably going to
> check out the library page on readthedocs.

Quite commonly I have wanted to access documentation for a package that
I have the ‘sdist’, but there's no longer any online hosting of the
documentation. The distribution should have included the documentation
as it existed, in the source distribution.

--
 \              “There are no chaplains in foxholes.” —Sergeant Justin |
  `\                                              Griffith, 2011-07-27 |