On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 at 20:50, Tzu-ping Chung <uranu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 01/10, 2018, at 00:47, Dan Ryan <d...@danryan.co> wrote:
> >
> >> Uses Pipfile as a project marker instead of pyproject.toml.
> >
> > See above.  pyproject.toml wasn't standardized yet when pipenv was released
> > (and still isn't, beyond that it is a file that could exist and store
> > information).  Pipfile was intended to replace requirements.txt per some
> > of the separation between the two different ways that people currently use
> > requirements.txt in the wild -- one as a kind of abstract, unpinned
> > dependency list (Pipfile),  and the other as a transitive closure
> > (Pipfile.lock).  Since neither is standardized _for applications_, I'm not
> > totally sure this is an actual sticking point.
> >
> > In either case, this seems super minor…
>
> I feel this would need to be extensively discussed either way before the
> community can
> jump into a decision. The discussion I’ve seen has been quite split on
> whether we should
> use one file or the other, but nothing very explaining why outside of “one
> file is better
> than two”.

This discussion seems to have diverted into being about pipenv. Can I
ask that the pipenv-specific discussions be split out into a different
thread? (For example, I'm not clear if Tzu-Ping's comment here is
specific to pipenv or not).

My main reason is that (as I noted in my reply to Nathaniel's post) my
use cases are, as far as I can tell, *not* suitable for pipenv as it's
currently targeted (I'm willing to be informed otherwise, but please,
can we do it on another thread or off-list if it's not generally
useful). And I'd rather that we kept the central discussion
tool-agnostic until we come to some view on what tools we'd expect to
be suggesting to users in the various categories we end up
identifying.

Thanks,
Paul