Pipfile is not pipenv, and the original thread specifically discussed the
pipenv implementation of the identified needs -- since pipenv is in wide use,
even if you personally don't like or use it, it seemed helpful to discuss the
limitations.

Tzu-ping went ahead and expanded the discussion about the distinction between
application and library usage which actually _IS_ central to the entire
conversation, and barely mentioned pipenv at all in his discussion about the
tradeoffs between various approaches to specifying dependencies as a user.

Since pipenv actually has implemented one of these approaches which
specifically targets the distinction, effectively drawing a line between
libraries and applications, it is particularly relevant as a point of
discussion in the conversation about "new user experience" in the ecosystem of
people who are sitting down for the first time and trying to set up a virtual
environment, install dependencies, install python, etc.  If you keep rushing to
tell us to go away and talk about things off list rather than trying to
understand the relevance of what we're trying to talk about, we will never have
a productive conversation.

I get that your attention is split, mine is too.  But we are going to have to
talk about specific tools in order to evaluate the tradeoffs they make and you
may need to accept that even though you personally have taken an active
position of trying to make us leave you alone, many people use pipenv in the
python community and it may actually be a good starting point for discussing
this kind of a problem.

Given that we are talking 'one tool vs many tools' it seems like a good idea to
look at how other languages handle these problems, including (and probably
starting with) what is possibly the core decision that would need to be made
before you could even start standardizing -- do you want libraries and
applications managed by the same workflow, or not.  Is that not a conversation
that we want to have? If not, what conversation topics are we allowed to
address in this discussion?

Dan Ryan