On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 6:10 PM Robert T. McGibbon <rmcgi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I suspect that *I* am one of the major reasons that the manylinux1 ->
> manylinux2010 transition has been unreasonably drawn out, rather than any
> particular design flaw in the versioning scheme (manylinux_{cardinal number}
> vs. manylinux_{year} vs. manylinux_{glibc version}).

Hey Robert, good to hear from you! And seriously, I don't think you
need to blame yourself for this... like, it was 13 months between when
CentOS 5 went EOL and when the PEP was accepted, which was a
precondition for everything else. 8 months after that, we still don't
have a pip release that can install manylinux2010 wheels. As it's
turned out, auditwheel wasn't the bottleneck at any point. And this
proposal would remove both the need for future PEPs and for future pip
updates, so it addresses the actual bottlenecks.

-n